The Junior League of Raleigh is meeting the needs of hungry children through BackPack Buddies.
The BackPack Buddies Program is a partnership between the Junior League of Raleigh and the InterFaith Food Shuttle. BackPack Buddies provides children who do not have access to enough food for an active, healthy lifestyle, with weekend meals during the school year. Members of the JLR serve on the BackPack Buddies team and volunteer to help collect and coordinate food delivered by IFFS, as well as, pack and deliver backpacks with healthy, kid-friendly, non-perishable food. The children receive a backpack containing six balanced meals and two healthy snacks at the end of every week. The children are selected by school principals, guidance counselors, and various after school programs.
Please Help Fill Our Backpacks for Hungry Children!
We are increasing our support this year from 30 backpacks to 50 backpacks per week and could use your help with this increase. The BackPack Buddies Committee will be having a food drive at the September 10 GMM.
Please consider picking up a few extra items when you are out shopping. Examples of food needed:
– Canned meat/beans (Chef Boyardee, tuna, beef stew)
– Canned veggies
– Canned fruit (no soft tops)
– Breakfast items in individual portions (box of oatmeal packets or small cereal boxes)
– Noodle items (individual mac-n-cheese cups, Ramen noodles)
– Juice boxes (must be 100% juice, no pouches)
– Shelf-stable milk boxes
– Individually packaged healthy snacks (granola bars, raisins)
Fast facts about BackPack Buddies:
- For the 2012-2013 school year 33.7% (50,432 out of 149,508 students) of WCPSS children applied and qualified for free and reduced lunch.
- $350 provides a child a backpack filled with nutritious food each weekend for the entire school year.
- For the 2012-2013 school year, JLR Team BackPack Buddies will deliver back packs to 30 children at Frances Lacy Elementary School each week.
- The JLR BackPack Buddies Program is totally funded through grants and donations.
- In North Carolina, one out of five children under the age of 18 is considered "food insecure," meaning they do not get enough food to lead a healthy, active life.
The 2012-2013 BackPack Buddies program is sponsored in part by GlaxoSmithKline and other generous donors. Junior League of Raleigh depends on the support of these gifts to ensure BackPack Buddies is a success! Thank you to our sponsors!
Back-A-Buddy Patron Sponsor
Back-A-Buddy Friend Sponsors
You can become a Back-A-Buddy Sponsor!