POSITION: League Director
STATUS: Exempt, Full-time; some evening and weekend work hours required
LOCATION: Raleigh, NC
Overview: The Junior League of Raleigh (JLR) is a local chapter of the Association of Junior Leagues International, an organization of women committed to promoting volunteerism, developing the potential of women and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable. With its 1,250 women dedicated to serving children and their families throughout Wake County, JLR engages women through leadership training, structured volunteer opportunities and is committed to their personal and professional growth. The diverse membership of professional volunteers positively impacts the lives of families in our community through its strategic partnerships with other community agencies year after year.
The League Director provides leadership and continuity for the JLR’s day-to-day operations and supports our facility, the Julia Jones Daniels Center for Community Leadership (CCL). As the director for a membership organization, the League Director works closely with the Board of Directors and provides strategic leadership of paid staff in support of the members, the mission and the programs of the JLR.
Primary Responsibilities: In collaboration with the JLR’s leadership and large membership base, the League Director manages the complete portfolio of staff and volunteer activities for the JLR. The League Director reports to and works closely with the JLR President which changes annually. Areas of responsibility include:
- Manages coordination and engagement of ~500 active members and 750 sustaining members and provides continuity of operations and institutional knowledge
- Supports the execution of major fundraising events such as the annual A Shopping SPREE!, JLR Day of Giving and the Governor’s Inaugural Ball; provides oversight to all fund development activities in coordination with the Development Associate
- Builds on existing and establishes new strategic community partnerships in coordination with JLR leadership, to support the JLR mission and strategic plan
- Helps implement engaging internal and external communication and sustain a vibrant social media presence for members, prospective members, and community partners
- Oversees the operations of the CCL and helps support and promote its use by members and the community along with the Operations Associate
- Leads a team of four employees, ensures the smooth execution of administrative and internal controls for the JLR
The Ideal Candidate Will: Be a self-motivated leader who can energize team members in daily work while ensuring continuity and effective support of League operations. This leader must demonstrate strong leadership skills, best demonstrated through the ability to gain trust and credibility with team members, JLR leaders and members. Successful candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university, and 2-3 years’ related experience preferably in the non-profit sector, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Preferred candidate attributes include:
- Evidence of successful leadership of fundraising initiatives for non-profit organizations
- Ability to create a shared vision among team members in the support of the organization’s mission and strategic plan
- Strong interpersonal communication and relationship building skills within and outside the League
- Ability to be flexible and work with a wide variety of personalities
- Be a hands-on leader who is comfortable working side-by-side with staff to ensure a job well-done
- Comfort and proficiency in common office technology systems
- Experience leading teams in effective completion of daily operations
- Innovative with a focus on process improvement
How To Apply: Send resume, cover letter, and references, preferably in one document, to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15, 2023. Phone calls and walk-ins will not be accepted. Due to the large number of inquiries we may receive, only candidates who have met the required experience and qualifications for this position will be contacted.
The Junior League of Raleigh (“JLR”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal law. The JLR encourages candidates of all groups and communities to apply for this position.